IQALUIT, NU – Ref. No. QEC-18-015
This is an exceptional opportunity for an Electrical Engineer to lead the Section that provides engineering services to capital projects, operations support, distribution system analysis and design work across QEC.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, and leading by example in a team environment, you will supervise technical staff, project management, project budgets and the development and implementation of Distribution standards. As Manager of the Electrical Distribution Section, you will provide supervision and technical support to Distribution Technologists and Engineers making up teams that could include internal and/or external representation, to investigate new work methods, processes, materials, equipment and/or procedures. Your engineering expertise and experience managing electrical distribution systems will be evident as you develop and implement engineering controls and provide technical advice, support and recommendations to other departments within the company, as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Creating and approving designs for new installations, rebuilds and upgrades of the distribution system that meet QEC standards and other applicable codes, standards and regulations, including CSA C22.3 No 1 Overhead Standards;
- Overseeing, and assisting with, the design and drafting of new QEC distribution standards and procedures, and any modifications to existing standards;
- Reviewing existing maintenance and asset management practices associated with the distribution system and making recommendations for improvement;
- Providing technical support and electrical design reviews for Engineering and Operations projects;
- Working to find solutions to ongoing issues impacting service delivery;
- Initiating conceptual and detailed design for electrical systems associated with utilities distribution and power generating facilities;
- Writing technical specifications to procure electrical equipment (switchgear, power transformers);
- Providing on-site solutions when re-design or modifications are needed;
- Managing the preparation and ongoing performance of the annual Distribution Capital Budget;
- Coordinating with Supply Chain Management to ensure material resources are procured and in place on schedule for project launch; and
- Developing a results-oriented distribution team to meet the service needs of QEC and its customers.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- A bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering;
- Registration as a Professional Engineer or eligibility for registration in NAPEG;
- At least seven (7) years of experience managing electrical distribution systems;
- Experience in staff supervision and development;
- Experience in full-scope project management – from project inception to commissioning;
- Experience with medium-voltage distribution systems, including overhead and underground construction, industrial and commercial services, joint use and metering;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong administration skills
- Ability to prepare and submit technical reports, proposals and business cases to Senior Management; and
- Knowledge of computer programs such as AutoCAD, ArcGIS Suite, SPIDA Calc, and MS Office.
- Project Management training and/or certification;
- Experience in diesel-generated power generation;
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture; and
- Ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive salary ranging from $118,248 to $154,245 and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $15,016 per annum. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is available.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
Apply in writing, by April 13, 2018, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.