The position of Department Leader is responsible for supporting both the Department and the Steering Team performing various functions that will help guide and foster a team spirit that supports both the Magna Employee's Charter and the goals of Formet. The Department Leader oversees and monitors all activities, and personnel by acting as liaison in matters regarding policy application, employee relations and continuous improvement related to the department functions. Under the general direction of the General Manager and Assistant General Managers, the Department Leader has ongoing contacts both internally and externally and must combine his/her technical, human and conceptual skills to plan, lead and motivate the team toward meeting divisional objectives.
- Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and Formet's Visions/Values through Magna's Employee Charter.
- Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction activities.
- Help establish Formet Business Plan and Departmental Goals and Objectives (People, Investor, Customer)
- Ensure that Formet Business Plan and Departmental Goals and Objectives are met (People, Investor, Customer)
- Develop and support Departmental leadership succession plans
- Ensure that short and long term planning is established for department in the areas of, but not limited to budgeting, manpower, continuous improvement, Quality, Safety, Environmental, and Employee satisfaction.
- Develop programmes for record retention, continuous improvement, build standards and job training.
- Participate in the creation and implementation of clearly defined rules of conduct and communications.
- Ensure all employees within the department have access to required training and work instructions.
- Reinforce the Open Door process.
- Participate in recruiting of personnel by conducting interviews as required.
- Provide timely feedback on issues or concerns raised by Team Members.
- Ensure that job counseling and performance feedback is being appropriately provided.
- Ensure policies and procedures are created objectively and reviewed and approved as required.
- Educate, support and promote corporate initiatives like the Employee's Charter, Employee Opinion Survey, and Fairness Committee.
- Responsible for all aspects of the Customer's program.
- Ensure Engineering compliance in regard to ISO14001 and ISO/TS16949
- GD&T Engineering.
- Maintain BOM list as relevant to Engineering Department.
- Plant liaison for manufacturing process integration.
- Tool vendor management, tool buy offs and tool standards engineering, tool design/strip layout review and sign off, tool delivery co-ordination, tool inventory management, tool vendor approval and selection, tooling contract review.
- Plant support in productivity and systems improvements.
- Establishes and follows-up full program implementation.
- Prepares reports, charts and other documentation required for engineering records and projects.
- Prepares drawings, material specifications to requisitions as required by customers, vendors or other departments.
- Deals with customer and vendors.
- Develops manufacturing feasibilities to method plans.
- Feasibility studies, piece price and tool quotes. Cost justification and capital budgets.
- Follow up new tooling programs to contain cost, timing and quality requirements from prototype phases and die construction through tool prove out, buy-off and program launch.
- Work with customers, vendors and other departments to implement engineering changes, quality improvements, continuous improvement, cost reduction, and establishing methods and procedures.
- Prepare detailed material requisitions, bills of material, blueprint drawings, project status reports and maintain engineering records and standards.
- Oversee current Production / Stamping / Assembly / Industrial Engineers and New Program Champions on a day-to-day basis.
- Back-up all Engineers in their absence.
- Requisition, authorize or seek approval for new equipment and/or systems as required.
Knowledge and Education
- Engineering Degree or equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
- 5 to 10 years of related work experience in an automotive environment.
- Office and Manufacturing Environments
- Able to work shift work.
- Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.