With extensive project management experience in a major public or private sector environment, you’re comfortable dealing with multiple stakeholders and competing priorities to achieve results, and prepared to join the City of Toronto Engineering & Construction Services Division team.
Senior Project Managers within the Design and Construction/Linear Underground Infrastructure – Basement Flooding Protection Unit provide project management, construction site management, stakeholder management, and technical support, in coordination with internal City divisions and external agencies, for the Basement Flooding Protection Program. The program involves storm water and sanitary sewer upgrades and other storm water management infrastructure such as ponds and tanks, and projects are generated as a result of Environmental Assessment studies, for the purpose of mitigating the risk of basement flooding.
As a Senior Project Manager, you will work as part of a larger integrated delivery team that oversees, reviews, supports and carries on the design and construction activities work of staff and engineering consultants, while acting as the liaison with other City divisions, external stakeholders and the public, as required.
Your primary responsibilities as a Senior Project Manager will be varied, but you’ll be expected to:
- Develop, review, and implement detailed work plans, recommend policies and enforce criteria regarding program-specific requirements.
- Manage assigned studies, design activities and associated permits and compliance requirements, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, and following high standards of work quality.
- Manage construction assignments, including site administration and inspection, change and risk management and other construction activities.
- Conduct investigation tasks and engineering research into assigned area, ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Ensure that project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Participate in the preparation of capital and operational budgets for your assignments.
- Deal with complex cost-sharing arrangements for the construction of municipal infrastructure.
- Lead multi-disciplinary project teams throughout various project phases (EA, Design and Construction) and supervise/direct other professional engineers and technical personnel.
- Provide specialized design and technical advice and expertise to support the units of the Department.
- Modify established guides, devise new approaches, apply existing criteria in new ways and draw conclusions from comparative situations.
- Identify, evaluate and provide technical expertise and recommendations for the resolution of contract issues.
- Identify and obtain support for other issues like: compliance programs, prosecutions, property, by-law, environmental and risk management, and public safety in compliance with the City policies and by-laws.
- Represent the Division/Department at meetings with the public, stakeholders and councillors, such as assisting the Unit Manager and Program Team to identify, address and ensure timely response to resolve ongoing and emerging issues, complaints and customer service deficiencies facing the Division and its operations, and liaise with Members of Council and their staff on behalf of the Program, as required.
- Represent the Department as a specialist at project and organizational meetings with consulting companies, contractors, associations involved in design and construction work, and other external service providers, as well as at court proceedings and other tribunals.
- Prepare Briefing Notes, Committee and Council reports, presentations, Requests for Proposals, Requests for Quotations, contract plans, specifications and estimates for tenders, evaluate tendered bids and make recommendations for award of contracts.
- Review and approve, where applicable, contract payments and implement quality control/quality assurance for construction.
- Oversee and evaluate the work performance of external service providers with respect to quality, timeline, cost and completion of required tasks.
- Secure permits and approvals, as required, from external agencies.
- Maintain relations with councillors, the public, consultants, government agencies, developers, suppliers and contractors relative to facility and equipment design and improvements, and formulate sound recommendations regarding such additions or alterations during the design and construction phases.
- Analyze the continuous improvement and control measures for quality, efficiency and effectiveness of services, and formulate recommendations.
- Review and analyze new technologies for utilization in existing or future service requirements.
- Ensure the proper maintenance of all required operating records and produce, or supervise the production of, such operating and research reports and statements.
- Perform audits, site inspections and assessments of changed conditions on construction projects.
- Conduct technical problem investigations and participate in conducting studies, analyses, surveys, research and development for effective resolution of complex engineering problems.
Your application for the role of Senior Project Manager must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Extensive experience in project management in a major public or private sector organization.
- Extensive experience in construction management, including scope change management, risk mitigation and contract administration.
- Experience in dealing with customer service issues and inquiries related to capital works delivery in the public right-of-way.
- Experience dealing with senior management and political staff on sensitive issues, preferably in the public sector.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective business relationships with all management levels.
- Ability to manage complex programs while dealing with conflicting priorities, and manage stakeholders and clients.
- Knowledge of legislation related to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Construction Lien Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Environmental Protection Act, Federal Fisheries Act and Safe Drinking Water Act.
- Ability to read, interpret, and report on engineering plans, drawings, technical memos, reports and specifications.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate multiple assignments and meet required timelines.
- Ability to communicate complex technical issue to a variety of audiences, using a customer service focus.
- Highly developed interpersonal, client service and teamwork skills.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with consultants, contractors, colleagues, elected officials, developers and other internal and external clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to plan, supervise and direct the work of staff, and an understanding of modern principles and practices of management and management controls.
- A valid Province of Ontario Class "G" Driver's Licence and access to a vehicle to travel to various work locations and construction sites in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
Salary Range: $100,773.40 - $118,409.20 per year (2017 rates)
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Senior Project Manager within our Engineering & Construction Services Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2296111 X, by January 30, 2018.
Communication: Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2296111 and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.