Senior Process Engineer
Ready to make a real difference? As world population increases and developing economies grow, solid waste is becoming an ever more urgent problem. Legacy energy-from-waste solutions are not environmentally pristine, cost a great deal, and aren’t liked by the public. Many newer technologies have not offered a solution that is clean, reliable, and attractive to investors.
To fill this gap, Plasco spent more than a decade, over $400M USD and more than 1.2 million man-hours in development and demonstration of its patented Gasification and Plasma Refining System (GPRS). Under new management, the company has refined its business model and relationships over the past two years. It is now delivering GPRS plants worldwide.
Plasco sells the GPRS equipment and its expertise to end users through global EPC firms, who are responsible for integrating that equipment in turnkey projects. Plasco has allied with Linamar Corporation, one of Canada’s largest manufacturing firms, to supply the GPRS equipment. After months of due diligence, one of the world’s largest EPCs has joined Plasco in project delivery, and a major underwriter has agreed to provide technology insurance.
Plasco’s GPRS converts solid waste into a synthetic fuel gas suitable for powering IC engines and co-fueling gas turbines. Diversion from landfill is over 96 vol.%, with no fly ash. Co-products are a nonleachable slag and clean water. Efficiency is high. Emissions are the lowest of all thermal processes. The GPRS can process unsorted mixed wastes, refuse derived fuels, and many types of hazardous waste.
Plasco’s product and project engineering is done by its internal core group, supported by our external partners. Due to the strong international market response, Plasco is seeking to augment its internal engineering group. We are looking for people who have integrity, purpose, talent, and who are willing to work collaboratively to get things done. We foster the development of top talent in a dynamic work environment while empowering employees to make a significant contribution to our communities.
We are looking for a Senior Process Engineer to join our team in Ottawa. Reporting to our Manager, Process Engineering, the ideal candidate has six or more years of experience designing, installing, and supporting plants or unit operations in energy-from-waste, chemical, oil & gas or power generation industries. He or she is a team player with strong communication skills and a degree in chemical engineering.
- Lead the process design function within multi-disciplinary project teams that are building Plasco GPRS-based plants. This includes initial conceptual design, completion of heat & material balances, process flow diagrams, and P&IDs
- Provide technical support to the sale and marketing team
- Create specifications, requests for quotes and scopes of work for process equipment
- Create integration and start-up test plans
- Write technical reports, maintenance and operating procedures
- Participate in the start-up, testing, and commissioning of Plasco GPRS-based plants
- Support client operations with technical expertise
- Analyze production data to recommend product and process improvements, and participate in product improvement and development projects.
- Mentor more junior engineers.
- Chemical Engineering degree preferred; Environmental or Mechanical acceptable with suitable experience
- 6 + years of progressively more responsible roles designing, installing, and supporting plants or unit operations in chemical, oil & gas or power generation industries
- Experience with requirements analysis, and development of specifications and statements of work
- Experience with process design calculations: line sizing, equipment sizing, PFD and P&ID development
- Experience with vendor selection and qualification
- Experience commissioning systems at client sites
- Demonstrated success working in multi-disciplinary technical teams on cutting-edge technology. Must be capable of leading all aspects of the process design function within a project; managing the on-time completion of all deliverables
- Fluent in written and spoken English; proficiency in French, Spanish, or Mandarin is an asset.
- Member of PEO or eligible to become member
- Experience with high-temperature gasification, process simulation software (ASPEN-PLUS, HYSYS), or commercial CFD packages would be an asset
To apply for this position, please forward a copy of your resume in MS Word or PDF format to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.