Senior Structural Engineer – Gardiner Rehab
Job Classification Title SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER GAR REHAB ECS
Requisition # 2281389 X
Division Engineering & Construction Services
Section Transportation Infrastructure
Work Location METRO HALL, 55 JOHN ST
Job Stream Engineering
Job Type Permanent, Full-Time
Salary/Rate $108,253.60 - $127,181.60 / Year
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday, 35 Hours per Week
Wage Grade 8
Job Code (PSG) TM2415
Number of Positions Open 2
Posting Date 14-Aug-2017
Expiry date 8-Sept-2017
Job Posting Status Open
Are you interested in being part of the single largest construction project in the history of the City of Toronto?
Bring your specialized structural engineering expertise to the City's Engineering and Construction Services Division and become part of the high-powered, ground-breaking engineering team working on the multi-year, multibillion-dollar Gardiner Strategic Rehabilitation Project.
The Project is in the early stages of implementation, and is now at a critical juncture, with design of the first phase of the rehabilitation – between Jarvis Street and Cherry Street – underway. Construction of the first phase is planned to start in 2018.
In the specially created role of Senior Structural Engineer – Gardiner Rehabilitation Project, you will be part of the self-contained unit within the Engineering and Construction Services Division that has overall responsibility to deliver the strategic rehabilitation plan for the F.G. Gardiner Expressway.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of the Gardiner Rehabilitation Unit, you will bring your extensive structural engineering expertise to the role. Excellent communication skills (oral and written) are essential given the extremely high profile of the strategic rehabilitation plan. Your support of the successful delivery of the Gardiner Rehabilitation Project includes providing the highest level of project management expertise, time and financial management capabilities, and coordination and consultation with the myriad of internal and external stakeholders and asset owners, including City departments and agencies, and provincial organizations such as Metrolinx.
Your primary responsibilities as the Senior Structural Engineer – Gardiner Rehabilitation Project will focus on:
a) Structural engineering design and bridge constructability
- Providing technical advice and expertise in the review of specialized structural designs in order to ensure adherence to the strategic direction, as well as integrity among the designs of individual components, to support successful delivery of the Project.
- Initiating, reviewing, evaluating and recommending innovative proposals, such as accelerated bridge construction approaches.
b) Review and recommendation of implementation strategies
- Developing and operationalizing detailed plans and recommending policies regarding the implementation of the F.G. Gardiner Strategic Rehabilitation Project.
- Using relevant and appropriate procurement strategies and approaches, such as design-bid-build, design-build, program management assignments, and Alternative Financing and Procurement (public private partnership, or P3) to deliver the Project.
- Providing leadership and direction regarding sub-projects, recommendations and options, implementation of solutions, project risks and issues, removal of roadblocks, etc.
c) Project management
- Directing consultants and staff teams in the design, planning, organizing and implementation of assigned projects.
- Resolving conflicts and mediating disagreements among project members.
- Supervising and managing contractors and consultants involved in Project delivery.
- Managing scope of Project to ensure it remains within budget and timeframes.
- Monitoring progress to reduce risks and initiating timely corrective action when required to ensure that Project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
d) Contract management
- Identifying, evaluating and providing technical expertise and recommendations for the resolution of contract issues, compliance programs, prosecutions, property, by-law, environmental and risk management issues and public safety in compliance with the City policies and by-laws.
e) Effective communications
- Maintaining effective relations with City councillors, the public, consultants, government agencies, developers, suppliers and contractors.
- Managing strategic and effective relations with other governments and government agencies and partners, as required.
- Providing regular progress reports on the Project to senior management, Committee, and Council, as required.
- Preparing comprehensive reports, making presentations and representing the Senior Manager at meetings.
- Representing the Project at meetings with the public, stakeholders and councillors, including as a structural engineering technical specialist at Project and organizational meetings with planners, administrators, and contractors and other external service providers.
To be considered for this position, your application must demonstrate that you have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering with a focus on structures and structural engineering.
- A Professional Engineering licence and membership in good standing in Professional Engineers Ontario, or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in Ontario prior to the employment start date.
- Extensive experience in the application of the principles of civil and structural engineering and of materials and methods of construction, rehabilitation and upgrading, including accelerated bridge construction strategies.
- Extensive experience in project management of municipal infrastructure and capital works engineering design and construction, from inception to closeout, including planning, detailed design, resource allocation, budget preparation, scheduling and task management, construction administration, preparation of specification and tender documents for multi-year, complex projects of roads, highways, and bridges, including public-private partnership options.
- Extensive experience writing reports, Requests for Qualifications and Requests for Proposals (RFQs/RFPs) and making presentations.
- Extensive experience proactively managing clients and communicating with a diverse group of stakeholders whose background includes environmental assessments, functional planning, detailed design, construction administration, preparation of specification and tender documents, and project management.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant legislation and the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for construction projects.
- Ability to read, interpret and report on engineering plans and drawings, specifications, correspondence, reports and other documents in a timely manner.
- Highly developed ability to plan, organize and coordinate large, complex projects.
- Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing at all organizational levels.
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively in a user-friendly capacity.
- Highly developed interpersonal and team skills.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with contractors, colleagues, elected officials, consultants, developers and other internal and external clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to plan, supervise and direct the work of others, including consultants.
- Considerable knowledge of modern principles and practices of management and management controls.
- Proficiency in the use of general computer software, including Microsoft Windows, Excel and Word.
- Possession of a valid Province of Ontario Class "G" Driver's Licence and daily access to a vehicle to travel to various work locations and construction sites in a timely and efficient manner.
- Preference will be given to graduates of accredited civil engineering programs.
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Senior Structural Engineer – Gardiner Rehab within our Engineering & Construction Services Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2281389 X, by September 8, 2017.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.