Mechanical Engineering Officer
If your industrial engineering experience is combined with the ambition, talent and drive to succeed as part of our Mechanical Engineering team, consider a fast-moving career with Canada Post. We are seeking an enthusiastic Mechanical Engineer to develop, model, simulate, optimize, design, improve, install and maintain mechanical systems used in Canada Post plants, to ensure the smooth functioning of mail processing.
This position has regular working hours, but some travel is required. An eligibility list will be established to fill anticipated needs for identical or similar positions, and will remain valid for a period of twelve (12) months.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will be expected to:
- Provide engineering support on all aspects of mechanical systems and equipment installed in plants, which entails implementing improvement programs, preparing drawings and layouts, writing detailed technical requirements for the construction, installation, maintenance, repair, modification, relocation and improvement of complex mechanical equipment
- Determine failure causes and recommend design improvements
- Evaluate engineering information submitted by consultants, contractors, manufacturers and suppliers
- Oversee acquisition projects, which includes performing assessments such as cost/benefit analyses and tender evaluations
- Perform detailed design and prepare technical reports for mail equipment optimization, which includes CADD drawings, layouts, design calculations, budget pricing, specifications for equipment tender and technical evaluations
- Assist in developing maintenance training courses for mail processing equipment systems
- Keep abreast of all work-related methods, technologies and advances in the field of engineering.
The Mechanical Engineering Officer we seek will have:
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Engineer-in-Training (EIT) in BC, or eligibility for registration
- 4 to 7 years’ experience as a Mechanical Engineer, including analyzing technical problems, developing solutions and implementing technology in an industrial setting
- Hands-on experience designing, developing and deploying material handling and/or automation technology
- Experience with Industrial Safety codes, practices and equipment safeguarding
- Experience preparing specifications in an industrial setting (e.g. consulting, equipment manufacturing or material handling, and equipment needs for an end-user)
- Strong computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, CAD, MS Project)
- Competency in use of computer-aided design tools (CAD)
- Experience in both use and development of modeling and simulation tools
- Knowledge of project engineering, material handling equipment design and enhancement, new equipment/technology evaluation, and system performance and reliability analysis
- Knowledge of requests for proposals (RFPs), tender evaluation and scoring, supplier selection and contractor/job management
- Knowledge of the design, development and deployment of material handling systems for packaged goods, warehousing and transportation or 3PL (Third Party Logistics) industry
- Knowledge of machinery & specialized equipment design, documentation and testing, automation, and robotics
- Knowledge of hydraulic and pneumatic controls and systems, and machinery noise abatement and safeguarding
- Knowledge of codes, rules and regulations in the design of machinery and material handling equipment
- Knowledge of technical project management
Note: As part of the selection process, selected candidates will be required to complete a security screening process.
CAREERS THAT DELIVER
If you're ready to make a difference and discover your full potential, Canada Post delivers a variety of exciting and challenging career opportunities across the country. As one of Canada’s largest employers, we’re committed to attracting, retaining and developing a winning team to meet the evolving needs of Canadians and secure our future.
Canada Post offers:
A total compensation package
• Competitive salary
• Annual incentive program
• Comprehensive individual and family benefits coverage
• Vacation and leave options
• Canada Post Registered Pension Plan
• A strong community of employees: Our employees drive innovation and ensure that our business continues to evolve to meet our customers' changing needs
• The satisfaction of a job well done: You'll be part of a winning team that touches the lives of millions
FIND OUT MORE AND APPLY TODAY
To apply for this role (J0717-0496) via the Canada Post Careers website, please click on the URL below:
Canada Post is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.
Des renseignements en français sur ce poste (J0717-0496) sont disponibles en ligne à postescanada.ca/carrieres.