The Senior Municipal Engineer plans, designs, develops and manages projects for the construction or repair of roads, water distribution, sanitary sewer collection and treatment, and storm water management systems. The Senior Engineer may also focus on municipal planning. The position will report to the Manager of Municipal Engineering and will be a strongly contributing member of BAR’s Municipal Engineering Team.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
- Confer with clients and other members of the engineering team and conduct research to determine project requirements.
- Plan and design major civil projects such as roads, water distribution, sanitary sewer collection and treatment (lagoons), and storm water management systems.
- Develop construction specifications and procedures.
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate construction materials. Interpret, review and approve survey design work. Ensure construction plans meet guidelines and specifications.
- Establish and monitor construction work schedules. Act as project or site supervisor for survey or construction work.
- Prepare contract documents and review and evaluate tenders for construction projects. Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates.
- Conduct business development activities and presentations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced and diverse/specialized knowledge of civil engineering principles, processes, theories, statistics and technologies.
- Advanced and diverse/specialized knowledge of transportation infrastructure, sewage treatment, water treatment, storm water management systems, materials, practices, operations and equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of project management principles and processes.
- Knowledge of contemporary supervision and leadership principles and practices.
- Skilled in managing multiple major engineering /operational data, plans, projects, programs and budgets.
- Advanced skill in expressing ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
- Advanced skill with standard office productivity software such as MS Office products. Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D would be an asset.
- Advanced skill to think conceptually, analyze complex data and issues, interpret specifications/ plans/regulations, and develop innovative solutions.
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relations and a respectful work environment with clients, superiors, peers, subordinates and the general public.
- Skilled in listening, leading and influencing people, averting and resolving conflict, and cultivating consensus.
- Ability to develop innovative engineering and operational solutions.
- Ability to apply the general rules and regulations of the applicable Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act, BAR Engineering safety programs and client safety programs as they apply to the position or projects undertaken.
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering which is recognized by APEGA or APEGS. Minimum of 10 + years municipal engineering in all forms of water, sanitary sewer, and storm water management design; experience with mechanical lift stations and lagoon design an asset.
- Registration with APEGA (The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta) or APEGS (The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan).
- Must be committed to Corporate values and initiatives.
PRIME SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
Leadership Skills – A proven ability to create and sustain shared commitment on key municipal issues and foster innovation within the department. This shared commitment is exemplified in how the team works with one another and across organizational boundaries to achieve divisional goals and objectives.
Performance Driven – Able to create a results-driven environment that is focused on reliable and consistent service to Citizens. Objectives and results regularly documented are well communicated to all stakeholder groups.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills – Able to proactively influence people and events, ensure effective internal and external communication. Communicate effectively with individuals and groups in written and verbal forms. Well-developed public presentation skills with the ability to address Senior Management and Elected Officials.
Credible –Will be able to build rapport with various stakeholders to coordinate activities and will utilize a collaborative approach to getting the work done and will demonstrate business acumen in the pursuit of the organization’s mission statement.
Organizational/Political Savvy – Has a strong understanding of the workings of municipal government, structure and culture in order to deliver performance and customer value. Strategically and systematically evaluates the impacts of decisions on projected needs and prospective required services. Will be able to demonstrate sound judgment from a broad perspective.
Ethics and Values – The incumbent will treat people fairly and with dignity. As an individual, they are willing to admit mistakes, even in the face of adverse consequences. Their principles act as an internal compass to guide their behaviour, allowing them to uphold the personal, social, and ethical norms of BAR Engineering.
Cognitive Capacity – Possesses the ability to understand and respond strategically to the complexities inherent in public transportation matters. Has a strong ability to deal with complex and divergent issues and how these impact the community and the development of policy.
Customer Focused – Will possess a positive, friendly manner and deal with challenging situations with empathy and sincerity. Will have an attitude to do whatever you can to satisfy the needs of your customers internally and externally.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
FOR INFORMATION: PLEASE CONTACT
Mike Kerr or Heather Fookes
530, 1000 – 7 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 5L5
Phone: (403) 263-0600 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information can be found at: www.daviespark.com