Senior Project Manager – Transportation Engineering
Play a key leadership role in implementing the Waterloo International Airport Master Plan
This full-time position with the Region of Waterloo will be of interest to an engineer whose knowledge base covers everything from engineering and construction methods and administration to contract law and budget preparation and monitoring.
As a Senior Project Manager in Transportation Engineering, you will plan, design, manage and authorize the provision of engineering services in the construction and rehabilitation of transportation-related facilities. For at least the first two years, you will lead a team through Phase 1 of the newly approved Waterloo International Airport Master Plan (http://www.waterlooairport.ca/en/abouttheairport/resources/YKF-Master-Plan---Executive-Summary-March-2017.pdf), using your expertise and experience in airport design and civil engineering, and incorporating Transport Canada design rules and regulations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
To assume the role of Senior Project Manager – Transportation Engineering, you will have the following profile:
- Knowledge of engineering normally acquired through a degree in applied science, with practical knowledge of engineering and construction methods and administration, contract law and budget preparation and monitoring, attained in a project management environment.
- Eligibility for membership in Professional Engineers Ontario.
- Knowledge of, and ability to adhere to, policies, procedures, related legislation (e.g., Occupational Health and Safety Act, Construction Lien Act, Environmental Protection Act, Environmental Assessment Act), Ontario Provincial Standards, Canadian Standards, Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change guidelines, contract law, and Professional Engineers Ontario standards.
- Ability to work independently on concurrent projects; review decisions and problems with Regional/political sensitivity with management; explore project alternatives individually and as part of a project team; and make recommendations on improvements to existing contract and engineering standards and procedures.
- Computer skills with ability to use software such as computer programming and computer-aided design.
- Communication and human relations skills to direct and guide contractors, consultants and staff; co-ordinate and negotiate project requirements; prepare and present written and visual materials for public drop-in centres, open houses and formal public meetings according to the Environmental Assessment (EA) approval process and Act; conduct presentations to committees, area municipalities and Councils; hold Open Houses and formal meetings for the media and the public; respond directly to public inquiries; and participate as an effective team member.
- Ability to write project correspondence, reports, contracts, agreements and project definition reports for contractors, consultants, committees, Regional and area municipal councils, staff, media and the public, where applicable; and read and interpret policy and procedure manuals, engineering and technical work-related journals, design specifications, contract, reports, legal documents, and memos.
- Ability to travel to locations within Waterloo Region.
- Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Where people matter and ideas grow
Serving a diverse population of over 560,000, the Region of Waterloo is a growing community where people matter and ideas grow. Our mission is to serve, engage and inspire – residents, businesses and staff alike. This means delivering quality services while creating a positive, inclusive workplace where our employees are valued and respected for their talents and contributions to our success.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
Please visit our website, at www.regionofwaterloo.ca, for a detailed description of this Senior Project Manager position (competition number 2017‑1393), and to apply online before 11:59 p.m., Sunday, July 23, 2017.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview. We will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.