Glotman•Simpson Consulting Engineers is currently looking for a passionate Performance Based Design Engineerto join our dynamic Vancouver, BC team on a full-time permanent basis. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with a Master’s of Engineering degree looking to expand their knowledge working on a number of challenging Performance Based Design projects. Candidates must be self-motivated, creative, have effective communication skills and a keen interest specifically in earthquake engineering. Additionally, as we are looking to expand our Performance Based Design service offerings in California and build our Asian client base, candidates with fluency in Mandarin and knowledge of the California building code are preferred.
Our firm, Glotman•Simpson Consulting Engineers located at 1661 West 5th Avenue, Vancouver BC, offers an excellent environment for growth and achievement of your future goals; we encourage ongoing personal and professional development and provide our team with the tools they need in order to succeed and progress on their career path.
If you’re our newest Performance Based Design Engineer, you possess the following knowledge, qualifications and abilities:
- Master's of Science and Engineering degree with a specialization in earthquake engineering and performance based design coursework (candidates with a MS degree from a University with seismic experience using California Seismic Codes are preferred);
- 0-3 years structural design experience (includes co-op and/or internship experience);
- Structural design experience in post-tensioned concrete, reinforced concrete, wood, masonry and steel;
- Strong technical understanding of seismic design principles and structural dynamics; able to identify and design the most optimal lateral bracing strategies;
- Extensive knowledge of US Design Codes (i.e. ACI 318-11, ASCE 7-10) and moreover, the California Building Code 2010, obtained through coursework and past work experience;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (in both English and Mandarin);
- Ability to accurately read and interpret drawing plans;
- Proficient in computer science to help develop internal design tools and systems;
- Strong knowledge of the theory, computer implementation, and application of methods of geometric and material non-linear analysis;
- Basic knowledge of parametric design and optimization is preferred; and,
- Ability to operate an integrated REVIT BIM model to collaborate with other disciplines on large scale projects.
And, you’re also described as being:
- A difference-maker;
- A positive team-player who is always seeking solutions to challenges;
- Someone who communicates clearly and concisely;
- A multi-tasker who thrives in a fast-paced environment;
- Someone who radiates enthusiasm, energy and passion; and,
- Someone who is organized, efficient and confident.
If this sounds like you, here’s what you can expect to be doing as a Performance Based Design Engineer:
Creating plans, design, computer analysis, checking drawing reviews and calculations using engineering formulas and skills for design in accordance with established codes, standards, drawings, or other specifications;
Analyzing applicable reports, drawings, blueprints, tests, and related documentation to plan and design projects;
Using computer-assisted engineering and design software to prepare engineering and design documents and calculations;
Conducting field reviews and structural observations; and,
Reviewing shop drawings, contractor requests and RFI’s.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter in PDF format with "Performance Based Design Engineer - Vancouver" in the subject line. While we appreciate all interest in our firm, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.