TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. TRIUMF’s site electrical power distribution operates three systems: normal, emergency and uninterruptible power, and at three voltage levels, up to 12.47 kV. Our Electrical Service Group is responsible for the dependable and reliable delivery of electricity to the entire site, with the team engaged in engineering support for projects related to electrical power distribution and infrastructure, including planning, design and implementation.
In support of this work, we currently have a career opportunity available for an Electrical Engineer who will be assigned responsibilities related to design and engineering, installation coordination, and assistance with maintenance and operation activities related to the electrical power system components and fire alarm system. Additional responsibilities will include engineering support on electrical matters and electrical design to site users and improving the distribution system reliability and efficiency.
The scope of the position responsibilities would be ideally suited to a junior to intermediate career level Engineer looking to further develop his/her career. The position offers an opportunity to: engage in engineering studies, modeling, and analysis to enable feasibility and cost; advise on cost estimates; establish engineering requirements for components and systems; and create and develop design concepts, develop detailed designs and specify components for projects and operations.
As the successful applicant you will receive in-house safety training to be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker. Your knowledge and skills will be broad and should include a significant portion of the following requirements:
- Solid knowledge of electrical circuit, systems and equipment, power system analysis, EMI and electrical fields both theoretical and practical
- Solid knowledge of electrical power system engineering and safety
- Knowledge of commercial engineering tools for analysis, design and simulation with proficiency in the use of AUTOCAD, SOLIDWORKS, Data Bases, and Microsoft Office package
- Excellent knowledge of applicable safety regulations.
- Familiarity with Arc Flash standards and practices
And demonstrated working knowledge of the following:
- Electrical circuits and plants, including HV apparati and phenomena
- Codes and standards
- Design criteria and methodology
- Construction methods and techniques
- Grounding and grounding techniques for safety and EMI
- Application of safety principles and practices
- Instrumentation and tools
- Materials used in electro-technology
- Breakdown and conduction in gases, liquid and dielectrics,
- Controls as applied to electrical and electromechanical systems
- EMI suppression techniques
- Energy system analysis and modeling
- Circuit modeling for conducting transients and short-circuit analyses
- Self-directed with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Resourceful with engineering creativity that will help address unique engineering problems
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work well under pressure
- Effective team player, proactive, reliable and dependable in delivering work with strong attention to details
- in electrical engineering
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience after graduation
- Must be eligible for registration as a P.Eng. in the province of British Columbia
- A sound understanding of energy systems efficiency analysis and modeling, optimization
- Prior experience with electric-mechanical processes will be considered an asset
- A competitive hiring salary
- A comprehensive and attractive benefits package
- An excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
Applications will be accepted until 2017-05-26