Presstran Industries, a division of Magna International located in St. Thomas, Ontario, has developed an enviable reputation as a supplier to the automotive industry known for the high quality of its product and the excellence of its service. Presstran's lines of automotive stampings and welding assemblies are used in front motor compartments, underbody structures, truck frame components and front and rear suspensions as well as non-automotive applications
Using their training in quality, operational procedures, and Occupational Health and Safety, the Weld Reliability Technician is responsible for inspecting/testing all welding of details to ensure the welding is done in accordance with the control plan using assigned equipment/machinery in any of the division's welding departments.
1. Able to operate the generate reports/data on the push out/torque/resistance weld destructive testing equipment
2. Can perform mig weld cuts/measuring of weld cross sections and can understand the results.
3. Strong communication skills. Timely report out of non-conforming parts.
4. Understand and able to complete weld inspection reports. Able to use weld database and check WCR for containment.
5. Strong team player. Works well in cross functional team
6. Understands when to escalate issues
7. Understands the importance of validating process corrections
8. Initiate corrective action and/or containment with Quality Auditors for any non-compliance.
9. Strong verbal and written communications skills. Demonstrates traits of a team player.
10. Able to perform weld inspections for studies, tip studies and consumable trials under the direction of weld engineer.
11. Understands PPAP requirements.
12. Prepare customer reports, weld summaries, charts for prioritization of corrective actions and management review.
13. Understands and has the ability to complete correlation studies between destructive and non- destructive testing.
14. Sound technical understanding of weld quality standards including weld appearance and weld location - Mig, projection, spot
15. Ability to use ultrasonic weld inspection tester, to evaluate weld quality requirements.
16. Ability to performs annual layout inspections and reporting
17. Strong problem solving ability - logical approach to problem solving
18. Assists with gas & weld studies for new equipment when required.
19. Ability to perform material thin out studies.
20. Understand the importance of TPM. Is able to complete TPM tasks on all equipment.
21. Able to perform minor maintenance activities on equipment.
22. Understand safety requirements for handling hazardous material - Acid (Nitol).
23. Microsoft Outlook, Windows, databases, spread sheets, word processing,
24. Approaches each day and each challenge with a positive attitude.
25. Conducts themselves in a professional manner when receiving or giving feedback/information, whether it is positive or constructive.
26. Supports and models the Presstran operational procedures/policies, Employee Handbook and "How We Work Together", Magna Employee's Charter, Magna Corporate Constitution.
27. Follows and complies with all operational procedures/policies as stated in the Employee Handbook, Quality and Environmental programs (e.g.. TS16949, ISO14001).
28. Required to adhere to all Health and Safety programs in accordance with the OHSA. Follows and ensures the Company's procedures regarding safety rules and regulations are followed throughout their assigned area.
29. Takes pride in keeping their work area clean and tidy.
30. Other duties as required.
Knowledge and Education
1. High School Diploma or equivalent.
2. Experience inspecting/testing all welding of details.
3. Computer proficiency required.
4. Ability to understand/follow direction.
5. Be able to perform plasma cutting and use a push-out machine, perform microscope inspections, use air-driven chisel hammer, and to read and follow weld drawings.
6. Be able to use the Jaws of Life. (Hydraulic safety training required), the cut-off saw, grinder and polisher, to read & follow control plans.
7. Must be able to work independently.
Skills and Competencies
Equipment: Various production equipment and machinery, various hand tools, plasma cutter, push-out machine, air-driven chisel hammer, grinder, wheel saw, microscope, polisher, Jaws of Life, PC, etc. Software: Microscope Software, QA Weld Specification database, Weld inspection database, Parts manager database, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel.
The incumbent is required to carry out routine, repetitive tasks under the general direction of the QA Manager or his designate. The incumbent is required to lift parts ranging from 0-40 lbs. and is exposed regularly to elements such as noise, temperature and vibration levels.
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Magna International Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.